Monday, July 03, 2006

I'll si thee

This past weekend marked the passing of the great Fred Trueman. FS was a giant of the game, and was the first player to take 300 test match wickets.

I never saw him play, but as a youth, I came across him presenting Indoor League, a fabulously bizarre show from Yorkshire TV. It consisted of pub teams competing at bar billiards, arm wrestling, shove ha’penny, table skittles, and of course, darts. In its way it was the forerunner to Bullseye.

At the end of each show Fred would raise his pint mug and utter the immortal words “I’ll si thee”.

He went on to be part of one of the best (few?) arguments for the BBC licence fee - Test Match Special.

Interesting fact that may interest only me: The producer of Indoor League way back in the 1970s? Sid Waddell, the god of darts commentary.

No comments: