Sunday, June 24, 2007

Life-changing gadgets


USA Today recently came out with their top 25 ‘Life Changing’ gadgets, services, and inventions since 1982.

Here is their list in their order of importance.

1. Cellphones
2. Laptops
3. Blackberrys
4. Debit cards
5. Caller ID
6. DVDs
7. Lithium rechargeable batteries
8. IPods
9. Pay at the pump
10. Lettuce in a bag
11. Digital cameras
12. Doppler radar
13. Flat-panel TVs
14. Electronic tolls
15. PowerPoint
16. Microwave popcorn
17. High tech footwear
18. Online stock trading
19. Big Bertha golf clubs
20. Disposable contact lenses
21. StairMaster
22. Tivo
23. Purell
24. Home satellite TV
25. Karaoke

Now this list and the order of importance is completely nuts. OK, perhaps this is a sign of age, but I don’t use, and have no use for, a bunch of these.

Blackberrys? Caller ID? OK, call me sociable fellow, but I’m not always on email but I don’t screen my calls.

Pay at the pump? Only at Tescos and then it only works when it wants to.

DVDs? Not so much. With Sky+ (out Tivo) I don’t have a big need for DVDs. Plasma TV? No. Lettuce in a bag? Give me a break. I have no clue what “high tech footwear” is, and I don’t think I need to know. Golf clubs, contacts and stairmasters all exist to help other people, but not me.

YouTube
The ATM
Broadband internet
The dishwasher
GoogleMaps
Vanilla coke (however shortlived that was)
E-Mail
Photoshop
Buying your tax disc online
Online banking
Amazon
Ebay
And of course blogs, especialy this one.

No comments: