Friday, October 27, 2006

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere

Got my Jimmy Buffet CD packed, I going south – changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes and all that stuff. Yep, flying from Manchester early on Friday morning with Karen & Ray & C (of course) to the Maldives. Or specifically Hakuraa Club, part of Meemu Atoll. It’s about 2 degrees north of the equator. The flight is via Doha to Male (the Maldivian capital) then to the resort by seaplane!

This will necessitate a break in transmissions for a few weeks.

My Bit of Welsh Heaven

This is in today’s Western Mail. It’s by David James, a builder from Beaufort (no, don’t know him).

“When people ask us Ebbw-ites to suggest somewhere nice to go for a meal, we always tell them to go anywhere “down the country”. What they really mean is anywhere in Crickhowell or Llangynidyr.

“For me, paradise is getting in the car outside my house in Beaufort, heading out past the housing estate in Garnlydan and then dropping into a brave new world of beautiful countryside and lovely houses.

“All of a sudden you go over this bump in the road and in front of you is the valley, rich and glorious. It’s a long, windy road to get from the top of the moors down to Crickhowell, but the views are so spectacular you won’t want the drive to end.”

Here, here. It’s one of the best drives in Wales (as long as the fog doesn’t come down or you run out of petrol!)

Concert Notes

Went to see Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes at the Coal Exchange on Tuesday night. I think it was my fourth time, and every time they’ve been excellent. This time was no exception. It’s one of the best nights out anyone could ask for.

They’ve got a new CD out, called Into the Harbour, but of course the concert had all the old favourites too. There was also I Hear You Knocking, Rebel Rebel and Help Me Rhonda, Dueling Banjos, and pretty much whatever Southside could think of or someone in the audience shouted out. It started with “Try to Understand…” and came to a chaotic end some 2½ hours later. I don’t know how they find the energy (especially since they must be knocking on by now) but I was knackered just watching.

Interesting Fact I: the two roadies were fabulous stereotypes – one had grey hair and ponytail, the other balding with a ponytail. And with way too much workman’s bum on display too.

Interesting Fact II: the clock in the Coal Exchange has the inscription underneath it “Tempus Fugit”. Well, it certainly didn’t apply to the clock itself, which was stopped at ten past five.

Rugby Notes

I’ll be missing Ebbw Vale’s home game with Pontypridd and the away game at Cardiff. Check out the scores on www.ebbwvalerfc.co.uk.

Blues number 10 Nicky Robinson has admitted that his team's policy of buying in foreign players has cost him a place in the Wales squad. The Blues region (their word, not mine) bought New Zealander Ben Blair now gets all the kicking responsibility for the Blues, and so Wales opted for kicker Ceri Sweeney as their second outside half as cover for Stephen Jones.

So much for developing Welsh talent, eh?

Fantasy Football Notes

A big win last weekend thanks to LT and my makeshift QB John Kitna, and I had the most points of any team in the league. I’ve got to pick sides for the next three weeks before I go away though, so I’ll be happy to still be in the top 4 when I get back.

No comments: