Friday, October 06, 2006

New arrival

Our friends Sion and Cath had a new baby boy this week, in rather dramatic circumstances. They chose to have a home birth, and on the fateful day the midwife determined that nothing was going to happen and went home. Cath then went into labour and Sion ended up delivering the baby, being talked through it by the ambulance driver.

Both mother and baby Amig are fine. Sion reckons he’ll be dining out on the story for years to come.

Cube Notes

Excitement this week has been caused by something in the water. Someone reported a worm in their glass of water from one of the water fountains in the office. Probably more worrying was the response to the email that went to our facilities management people:

Q - I just found a worm in my water from the dispenser on the second floor, south wing AO5; I have it by my desk in a cup. I hope I have not taken a worm in this water. What do I do with it?

A - We will send a Handyman up to check it out.

After a day or so of rumour and wondering, an official announcement came.
There is a low risk from drinking the water. All the water fountains are now out of action and water samples have gone off to the public health laboratories. It transpires that this “worm” is now being called a “non-specific bacteria”. Well that's OK then.

Travel Notes

Enjoyable - Was up in London earlier in the week, and stayed in the Thistle Selfridge Hotel. Nice too. Very convenient for Selfridge's (downstairs) and the rest of Oxford Street.

Aggravating - the quiet car on the train was only disturbed five times by various idiots/executives making self-important phone calls.

Ebay Notes

My first venture into the world of Ebay has been a successful one. We had roof tiles left over when we put a fibreglass sloping roof on the kitchen and porch instead of the leaky tile roof. Having tried salvage yards and even the Council to get rid of them, I turned to Ebay. And I sold them for £145, when I was going to be happy just getting rid of them!

Rugby Notes

The Daily Andrex has this as the Ebbw team for tomorrow’s game against Aberavon at ECP. I’m yet to be convinced about Roberts in the centre (may as well play NCR!) or Aiono in the back row – hopefully they can both good this week.

A McLaughlan, S Hunt, K Owen, G Roberts, M Jess, S Mills, B Shelbourne, I George, D Williams, K Gay, M Griffin, N Edwards, J Bowd, N Aiono, C Cleaver (captain).

Replacements: R Wilkes, J Corsi, R Bowen, J Lydiate, P Horgan, D Phillips, J Quirk.

Aberavon have lost coach Kevin Hopkins to the Ospreys set up, but still have Mark Jones: probably not the best tactician but a good motivator!

Fantasy Football Notes

As predicted, I was well beaten last week 62-47 and I’ve now fallen to 1-2-1. I’m looking for Cadillac Williams and/or Duante Culpepper to break out of their slumps to help my team this week. I could be forced into the transfer market if they don’t shape up soon.

Link of the week

Dilbert, the cartoon strip, now has a blog.

Dilbert’s newsletter (sent out to members of Dilbert’s New Ruling Class) includes some true quotes from people who put the DUH in In-duh-vidual:

That's water over the bridge.
You're dead meat in the water.
They have us by the balls of our feet.
They should lock him up and throw away the book.
Make sure you cross your p's and q's.
Don't look a blind horse in the eye.
I put my wrong foot in the wrong mouth at the wrong time!
Cows died to give us that cheese.
Don't slap the hand that milks you.
Call me back at your least convenience.
It's six of one and one of the other.
I can't do it in the spur of a hat.
That's going to change the whole ball of works.
They're not the brightest box of cookies.
The pro's for are more than the pro's against.
I wouldn't touch him as far as I could throw him.

No comments: