Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ponty Crime Wave

OK, now I’m pissed off. It’s the third time in the last six weeks that our cars have been damaged.

First, three tyres were slashed. Thanks for that yob. Called the police, a copper came up, wrote a few notes and left.

Then a few weeks ago someone put a rock through the back window of Cath’s car. Thanks again, citizens of Ponty. Called police: on hold for an eternity and then the line goes dead. So I report it at police station. Uninterested admin person writes a note on a piece of paper. Nothing further until we get a call from the police to say that they were going to call up to take a look but…are you ready for this… they “couldn’t find the house”. It’s a good job it wasn’t a 999 call, eh?

Now last night, someone drove into my car while it was parked on the side of the road. Broken back light, broken wing mirror and scratched paintwork down the side. The driver of the other car must have been seriously drunk, because it’s a well-lit and wide road. He (I assume it’s a he) left his wing mirror at the scene of the crime. Except according to the police (another wasted afternoon at the police station) it’s not a crime, it’s a “failure to stop after a road traffic accident”. I thought that was a crime too, but obviously not. When reporting the incident I was told that Merthyr Road was “off their rounds” and “yeah, they drive like idiots around there” and “there’s nothing we can do”. Ta, PC 1987.

So there we are. Crimes: three. Culprits caught: zero. Effort to catch criminals by South Wales Police: zero. Pissed off victims: two (me and Cath).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi MJV - two Saturday nights ago I had my car broken into, even though it was on my driveway. The car was locked and there was no forced entry.

He took my car charger and tried to rip the sat nav holder out of the car. Unfortunately for him it is hardwired and he only managed to rip the power lead out.

Cheryl saw the boy running away and then woke me (a few seconds after he had started to run for fear of what I might do - fair to say her fears would have been correct!) and called the police.

Now I have a nice letter from EV Police welcoming me (in effect) to being a victim of crime.

The chances of plod et al catching the little scroat - more chance of me supporting the townies. :o)

"Welcome to the club"

Anonymous said...

Your experiences with the recent car crime problems are on a par with mine. Some scroat ripped the front fog lamps out of my car on Merthyr Road earlier this year. When I tried to report it, same thing happened to me ... the phone rang and rang until eventually the line went dead.

Nice to know our council tax is being well spent, eh?