In my spare time I’m a trustee (board member) of Groundwork Caerphilly.
Groundwork uses the labels People, Places and Prosperity to structure their work:
- People is about creating opportunities for more people to learn about and become committed to taking action for the environment whilst, at the same time, realising their personal potential and building strong local neighbourhoods.
- Places is about creating better, safer, healthier and more environmentally sustainable neighbourhoods for people to live and work in.
- Prosperity is about training for work, stimulating local social enterprise, and working with the local business community to integrate business competitiveness and environmental responsibility.
And yesterday evening was the chance to visit some of the work that Groundwork Caerphilly is currently doing. We visited:
- A sensory garden at Markham’s Adult Resource Centre
- A community spaces project at St Sannan’s Church in Bedwelty
- Canal improvements and Penniless Corner redevelopment in Cross Keys and
- Waunfawr Park.
We also held launched a horticultural volunteering programme on a site on top of the mountain above Cwmfelinfach. In the rain. Still, the views across the valley were amazing, and we will all go back in 12 months time to see the progress. Good luck to Matt and everyone involved.