Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cricket Notes

Cardiff has been awash with cricket fans these past few days. There are tents in Pontcanna fileds and Bute Park, and plenty of drunken Aussies and Brits wandering around.

I didn’t apply for tickets for the game, I didn't have the time - so I've had do with the daily highlights on five. But the cricket’s been good. The bat has dominated the ball, and Ponting, Katich, Haddin and North (pictured) all deserved their centuries – the first time ever in an Ashes match that four Aussies got 100s in the same inning.

Its been quite subdued, as though England are playing for the draw. There may be a little spice today if Australia think they can get a win. And that’s when sledging comes into its own.

That’s just an excuse to post a few sledges I saw in the newspaper the other day...

  • Heckler to Phil Tufnell: “Can I borrow your brain? I’m building an idiot.”
  • And a few from Merv Hughes: “Mate, if you just turn the bat over you’ll find the instructions on the back.”
  • And: “Does your husband play cricket as well?”

No comments: