Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Glamorgan to return to Ebbw

Glamorgan have confirmed that they will be playing a Pro40 game (John Player League in old money) at Ebbw Vale’s Eugene Cross Park this coming summer. It’ll be on Sunday 29 July against Middlesex. I’ll be there.

It follows on from a four-day game at Abergavenny against Leicestershire. It’ll be just like the old days, especially since Glamorgan aren’t going to be any good this season.

Hotel Notes

Spent a wonderfully snowy pre-Valentine’s weekend at Llangoed Hall. Just like last year it was a great retreat into the countryside, where luxury is the watchword. Our room usually goes for around £300 a night, but in the winter (thankfully) it’s a lot cheaper.

Driving up to Brecon I was amazed to see the number of sledders and snowballers enjoying a day at Storey Arms. Saw the usual selection of snowmen, but a full-size igloo was the top piece of ephemeral art.

Restaurant Notes

Ate at the Griffin in Llyswen on Saturday evening. The food was good hearty fare, with winter-warming stews and casseroles dominating. As they proclaim, it’s “slow food” and it’s very good too. The restaurant was very quiet but bar meals and arguments on where Wales went wrong were prominent in the bar.

Book Notes

Spent part of Sunday at Hay-on-Wye. There’s more books than you can shake a stick at.

Bizarrely, it has this past week been twinned with Timbuktu. No, I’m not making this up, here’s the story.

Rugby Thoughts

Ten things I think I think following the weekend’s Six Nations games:

1. I think that Wales looked desperately one-dimensional. It seems that Gareth Jenkins isn’t the new Great Redeemer after all. Just goes to show what can happen when you let The Western Mail pick the national coach.

2. I think that Rhys Thomas gave away any chance of a win with his stupidity. His trip to the sin bin couldn’t have come at a worse time.

3. I think that Wales need to improve its discipline: they can’t afford to give away that many kickable penalties.

4. I think that I would have been worried if Ebbw Vale had played that badly. Thankfully it was only Wales.

5. I think that BBC Wales’ claim to provide comprehensive coverage of the 6 Nations is misguided. Exhibit A: Last week they provided live coverage of the U20 game between Wales and Ireland at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea. This week, Wales U20 played in Scotland on Friday night. BBC coverage? Nothing on Friday and just two minutes of highlights on Sunday.

6. I think that David Wallace looks like the best openside flanker in the 6 Nations. Martin Williams is a close second.

7. I think that when Geordan Murphy missed that tackle on Raphael Ibanez for France’s first try, it was the first hint of things to come that day.

8. I think that they must have invented rainproof paint to use to mark out the sponsors logos. It must be embarrassing for RBS to see the players daubed in blue paint.

9. I think that the atmosphere at Croke Park in Dublin was electric. So they finally allowed “foreign sports” at Croke Park and other gaelic sports arenas. Reminds me of the time when I was in Galway to watch Connacht and Ebbw Vale. When we asked a local where the rugby ground was he replied “I don’t follow foreign sports”.

10. I think that when I was at Lansdowne Road a few years the atmosphere was amazing, with Fields of Athenry ringing out, but a ticket for an Ireland game at Croke Park this season may be the toughest ticket in all of rugby.

Valentine’s Note

I love you, Cath.

No comments: